Ghana Condemns U.S. Military Action in Venezuela, Calls for Immediate Release of President Maduro

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

By Crystal Good | Black By God: The West Virginian

Ghana joins international chorus of concern over what it describes as “colonial ambitions” reminiscent of imperialist era.

The Ghanaian Government has issued a strong condemnation of the United States military operation in Venezuela that resulted in the capture of President Nicolás Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, describing the action as a dangerous violation of international law that echoes colonial-era ambitions.

In a statement released Sunday by Ghana’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration, the government said it was “alarmed and deeply concerned” by the unilateral and unauthorized invasion of the Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela that occurred in the early hours of Saturday, January 3, 2026.

“Ghana expresses strong reservations against unilateral use of force and strongly deplores such acts that violate the Charter of the United Nations and international law, as well as the sovereignty, territorial integrity, and political independence of States,” the statement read.

We’ll bring the best from BBG right to your inbox. You can easily unsubscribe at any time. 

Sign Up for our Newsletters!

A Pre-Dawn Assault

The U.S. operation began with overnight strikes in and around the Venezuelan capital, Caracas. U.S. combat helicopters fired rockets and missiles in urban areas during what Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth described as a massive joint military and law enforcement raid lasting less than 30 minutes.

Venezuelan Defense Minister Vladimir Padrino López reported that officials were working to gather information on the number of fatalities and injuries. At least 40 people, including civilians, were killed in the operation, according to an anonymous Venezuelan official cited by The New York Times. In Catia La Mar, strikes hit a three-story civilian apartment complex, killing one person and seriously injuring another.

At 2:01 a.m. local time Saturday, U.S. helicopters touched down at Maduro’s compound in Caracas. The president and first lady were taken into custody and by Saturday evening had been transported to New York’s Stewart Air National Guard Base.

At a news conference Saturday, President Donald Trump praised the operation as one of the “most stunning, effective and powerful displays of American military might and competence in American history.”

Trump announced that the United States would oversee Venezuela. “We’re going to be running it with a group, and we’re going to make sure it’s run properly,” he said, adding that the U.S. might send troops to Venezuela.

Ghana’s Strong Rebuke

The Ghanaian Government’s Foreign Affairs Ministry expressed deep concern over Trump’s declaration that the U.S. will “run” Venezuela “until such time as we can do a safe, proper and judicious transition” and that large U.S. oil companies would be asked to “go in.”

“These declarations are reminiscent of the colonial and imperialist era,” the statement stressed. “They set a dangerous precedent for the global order. Such colonial ambitions should have no place in the post-Second World War era.”

The ministry warned that such assaults on international law, attempts at occupation of foreign territories, and apparent external control of oil resources have extremely adverse implications on international stability and the global order.

The Ghanaian Government reaffirmed its commitment to self-determination, stressing that only the Venezuelan people have the right to decide their political and democratic future. The West African nation called for immediate de-escalation and the unconditional release of President Maduro and his wife.

The Trump administration has justified the operation as a law enforcement action tied to a 2020 federal indictment charging Maduro with narcoterrorism conspiracy, cocaine importation conspiracy, and weapons-related offenses.

U.S. Attorney General Pam Bondi stated that Maduro and Flores would “face the full wrath of American justice on American soil in American courts.” The indictment alleges that since 1999, Maduro and others partnered with international drug trafficking organizations to transport thousands of tons of cocaine into the United States.

Maduro has repeatedly denied the accusations, arguing that the U.S. fabricated charges to justify removing him from power and seizing control of Venezuela’s vast oil reserves.

International Reactions

Ghana joins a growing international chorus expressing concern over the U.S. action.

UN Secretary-General António Guterres said he was “deeply alarmed” by the escalation. “Independently of the situation in Venezuela, these developments constitute a dangerous precedent,” his spokesperson said.

The governments of Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Spain, and Uruguay issued a joint statement rejecting the U.S. action, expressing concern that it could “constitute an extremely dangerous precedent for peace and regional security.”

Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva condemned the strikes as having “crossed an unacceptable line,” while Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum called it a breach of the UN Charter.

Russia’s Foreign Ministry called for Maduro’s immediate release, describing the U.S. action as an “unacceptable assault” on Venezuela’s sovereignty.

However, some leaders expressed support. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu praised Trump for his “bold and historic leadership on behalf of freedom and justice.”

Among U.S. lawmakers, Democratic Senator Tim Kaine condemned the actions and called on Congress to support his resolution to block the use of armed forces against Venezuela unless authorized by Congress.

Maduro is scheduled to appear in a Manhattan federal court on Monday, January 5. The UN Security Council is set to meet Monday to discuss the situation at the request of Colombia, with backing from Russia and China.

Venezuelan opposition leader María Corina Machado has called for Edmundo González — widely regarded as the legitimate winner of Venezuela’s disputed 2024 elections — to assume the presidency. González is currently living in exile in Spain.

Venezuela has declared a state of national emergency and plans to raise the matter at the United Nations Security Council and other international forums.

The Ghanaian Government’s statement concluded by reaffirming the nation’s “long-held principled position against invasion, occupation, colonialism, apartheid, disregard for sovereignty and all forms of violation of international law.”

If you appreciate BBG's work, please support us with a contribution of whatever you can afford.

Support our stories

Author

Crystal Good is the founder and publisher of Black By God: The West Virginian.